Don’t you know where to look for information on how to study in the United States?
Our role as Immigration Lawyers is to tell you what categories of student visa exist, what processes you must start for your case to be eligible, and what certificates you need to obtain it.
An American non-immigrant student visa refers to the specific type of visa granted to those who wish to study in the United States. Student visas fall into two main categories.


In the first category we find the F-1 Visa.

This type of visa allows an academic student to enter the United States serving full time in a high school (upper). Said student must be in an age range between 14 and 18 years old. Before the visa can be processed, students must prove to the American State that they have made the full payment of the tuition for a period of 12 months (which is the time limit that the State allows the student to remain legally in the country).

In addition to high schools, the F-1 Visa also applies to universities, conservatories, seminars, or any other institution that allows you to obtain a diploma, certificate or degree. It is important to highlight that the institution must allow the entry of foreign students. Complementarily, it should be emphasized that United States immigration does not consider those students between the ages of 8 to 14 years eligible to obtain an F-1 Visa, nor those students who apply to programs subsidized by the American State. However, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to consult our Immigration Office.


On the other hand, we find the M-1 student visa.

This visa category only includes those students who are in vocational and non-academic programs. In this case, to obtain an M-1 visa, the studies must be not academic or from a non-academically recognized establishment.


It is important to take into account the different requirements necessary to obtain the F-1 Visa.

First, the student must be part of or enrolled in an academic program. This can be a vocational program or a language course in which the student reaches the academic levels necessary to complete the program. You will be interviewed at the United States embassy at the time of processing the visa, so you must be proficient with the English language.

Second, the applicant must have a certificate called Form I-20. The same institution is the one that will issue this certificate proving to the American State that the student has been accepted academically and that he is a potential American student. Take note that the institution, school, or university is the one who sends this certificate directly to the student.

Additionally to the aforementioned, the student applying to study in the United States must have a SEVIS Registry. This record refers to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Before applying for the visa, the student must register in this system. The registration fee is $ 200 to be registered in such a way.

The purpose of this registry is to keep track of those who carry some type of student visa. From the moment the student receives an American Visa, a follow-up is carried out, until the moment they graduate, leave, or conclude said program.

Read Texas Am GIF by Texas A&M University - Find & Share on GIPHY


Information to take into account …

Additionally, it is essential to prove to the American State that the student or his family has the economic funds to cover the costs of the course, program, and or schooling in its entirety. The financial source must be reliable, identifiable, and sufficient to cover the costs of schooling and living costs in the selected period of time. Such evidence must be detailed in a letter from the bank or in the bank account of said parents.
Finally, the evidence must show that funds are available for subsequent years of schooling. There must also be funds for additional expenses to the academic program, such as: accommodation, food, and school supplies.

As a final instance, it is important to detail the income and duration of the student’s stay. Said holder of the student visa is entitled to enter the United States up to 30 days before the date of registration. This date was designated on Form I-20A-B or I-20M. Finally, those F-1 carriers are allowed to remain in the country for a period of 60 days after the completion of the program, course, or training. In the case of the M-1 visa, you can remain in the United States as indicated on your I-20M form.

We hope that the information about student visas has been useful to you to better understand how they work.  As Immigration Lawyers in Miami, we can advise and help you with all the information you need regarding American Immigration.
Do not hesitate to contact our office for a personalized advice!


5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments